Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Interfacing

As you may or may not know, I am not a huge fan of working with wovens. Last season I had my first ever woven in a collection, a skirt. For Winter I have a few more wovens, which for me = INTERFACING. When I was in school, I would just iron on the interfacing to my already cut out pattern pieces and peel it off the ironing board (much to some of the other students horror). I found this the quickest and most efficient way to get it on there. Then I would just cut away the excess. This came in really handy when doing tiny pieces.

I am still using this method for my production now. It goes way quicker then laying another marker of just interfacings. In factory production, we often interface the fabric on a drum press and then cut. Since I neither have drum press, or 60" wide interfacing, I am opting for this:


I find the quickest way, even though it is likely not the "correct" way to do things. I'll keep doing it too, until those waistbands learn to do it on their own.

Right now I am about knee deep in Winter production. Just trying to get everything cut, so I can deliver in about a month. My back injury is unfortunately slowing me down a bit, which can be frustrating at times. I also have some other exciting ventures I am beginning work on (top secret for now), and I am also going to start working with PDX Fashion Synergy. Very exciting!

I just need 36 hours in EVERY day.

1 comment:

Mathgeek said...

When you find out how to get 36 hours in a day please share it with me! If you don't like interfacing, dont' make handbags! That's all I'm working with lately, thick and thin. I'm not a fan either but most of my patterns start out geometic and I manipulate them afterthe interfacing is on. Doesn't your method ruin your iron? Or the board depending how you iron? What about waste? Is ther any more than if youcut piece by piece? Just curious. Can't wait to see your work and hope your back gets better!