Monday, November 19, 2012

The loudest thing you can do with money

The loudest thing you can do with money, is to speak with your dollars.

Who are you giving your money to?

Where does that money go?

Who do is positivly affect?

Does it stay in your community?

Does it help your comunity?

Who made or grew what you are buying, and was it done ethically?

Is it only making the rich richer, while keeping the poor poorer?



I ask myself these things every single time my money and I are parted. I go out of my way to go to local stores that are involved with the community. I purchase local produce. I look in every thing that is not edible for country of origin.

I fully understand too that sometimes you have a selection of cheap crap and cheap crap. 3% of apparel sold in the USA is made in the USA.

This holiday season I urge you to think about what you are buying. There is a fantastic holiday event going on in Portland called Little Boxes. The community is so wonderful. 170 stores have banded together to promote this 2 day event 11/23 and 11/24, and have 90 prizes. Sounds better than a sharp elbow in the ribs around dessert time on Thanksgiving to get some cheap crap at a big box that will most likely break in a year.

Full list of stores here:
http://littleboxespdx.com/shop/

No comments: